I'm not feeling particularly well today. So instead of doing things that need to be done, I'm just working on this blog.
Yesterday I went back home to central Illinois. Now that we live up north I take a new way to get to my parent's house. It involves driving on Route 24 for a long time. I love driving through this part of Illinois as it is filled with fields. Growing up in this area has conditioned me to find the vast expanse of nothingness quite comforting. Most people find these areas to be annoying and boring. I, however, always feel invigorated when I drive through the corn fields. That is not to say that a good trip into a great city like Chicago and New York does not also have the same effect of euphoria on me.
I don't think I am unique in this love of both the urban and rural, but I just bring it up to say that I think there is so much joy to be gathered from our day to day life. Yesterday it was in driving for miles without seeing another person, but on Monday I found great joy in seeing hundreds of people at once in downtown Chicago.
So now we live in the suburbs. This is not new for me either. I lived in "the burbs" in Philly as well. I like the suburbs, I've finally allowed myself to say that. However, I don't think that I could ever say it has the best of both worlds. They are just the suburbs. There are conveniences that are not obtained in the rural setting, but there is an escape from the constant push of urban life. These attributes are my favorite parts of the suburbs. Oftentimes, it just feels like a compromise though, not an improvement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment